The Week in Search & Social for June 1by Anvil on June 2, 2011Adwords
The big news this week was undoubtedly Google Wallet, as NFC (near-field communications) technology has big implications for local, mobile and B2C. However, philandering professional athletes and politicians everywhere will also be thrilled to hear the Twitter is launching its own photo service!
- Important Changes to Clicks on Directions for AdWords Location Extensions – If you’re using Location Extensions, Google is about to (1) provide you with performance metrics on directions clicks, (2) add a “Get directions from Google Maps pop-up” mobile search ads, and (3) start charging for clicks on location extensions.
- How to Succeed at Facebook Ads – Learn some Facebook advertising best practices and benchmark metrics by looking at a real-life campaign. Among the key points: Sponsored Stories outperformed regular ads, constant creative refreshes are vital, geo-targeting and including location in ad copy works, and learn to calculate “earned media value.”
- SEO Competitive Research for Top Ranking Websites – These tools will help you keep an eye on the competition.
- WordPress SEO Theme Guidelines – A great list of do’s and dont’s for WordPress optimization.
- Tracking the Google +1 Button in GA – Directions on how to set up event tracking for the +1 button with native integration.
- 61 Tips for Improving Site Search – Links to several articles discussing site search including how to best optimize your on-site search results, features of the search box & how to avoid “zero results found”.
- 9 Reasons your site isn’t converting – Common on-site problems that hinder conversion rate plus recommended tools to identify and fix those problems.
- 30+ More Tools to Automate Link Building – These tools help enhance link development management by collecting contact information, streamlining tracking, and more, while avoiding substituting automation for personalization.
- Creating a Link Building Dashboard – A useful spreadsheet (to use or re-create) for monitoring ongoing link development progress and changes.
- Twitter Launches Follow Button for Websites – Now follow companies and individuals directly from their sites. You no longer need to get redirected to Twitter!
- Twitter is Launching Its Own Photo Service – Reports have surfaced that Twitter will announce its own photo sharing service very soon, which could spell trouble for 3rd party clients like TwitPic, Yfrog and more.
Local Search Engine Optimization
- Place Pages Sporting New Navigation Features – Not confirmed if it is just a test or not, but new features have been added to make it easier to search through results
- The Growth of Reviews in Google Places – A look at the growth of reviews after the introduction of Google’s Hotpot.
- Google Offers beta Starts In Portland, Oregon – Google offers has officially launched with the first deal for Floyd’s Coffee in Oldtown
- Which Test Won? – Which App Installer Reduced Bounces & Increased Revenue per Visitor?
- The 12-Step Landing Page Rehab Program – Study the 12-step infographic to see where each step in the program should be applied to the conversion funnel.
- Customers Make Up For Lost Time This Father’s Day, As Spending Jumps – According to NRF, average order value (AOV) for Father’s Day gifts is expected to average $106.49, a 13% increase compared to 2010. This increase shows more recognition for Dads and helps to narrow the spending gap compared to Mother’s Day ($140.73 AOV). 22% of shoppers intend to buy online.
- Infographic: Is Content Marketing Traditional Advertising’s new Rival? – Learn how much B2B companies are spending on creating great content and what types of content they’re creating to generate leads.
- Making B2B Marketing More Social – Overview of how to run a successful social media program for a B2B company. Focusing heavily on a content creation calendar and and jumping into social media with both feet are essential to success.
- How To Capture Powerful Insights from Retail QR Code Campaigns – Check out the results from this retail case study and learn five simple steps to capture and leverage metrics for your next QR code campaign.
- A Field Guide to Brand Advocates – Word-of-mouth marketing is one key to modern marketing success, according to a new study by BzzAgent.
- DNS 101 – Learn the basics of Domain Name Systems.
- Private Browsing for Web Design and Development – Use a web browsers private browsing feature and the site you are working on will show up in a logged out state. Great for WordPress development!
- Google Wallet Announced – Will smartphones replace credit cards? Google and MasterCard hope so.
- Android Users don’t want to pay for Apps – 97% of Android app downloads are for free Apps making monetization of the Android platform very difficult.
- How Moms of All Ages Use Smartphones for Shopping – According to eMarketer, Moms were most likely to use their smartphones to locate nearby stores (45%) & compare prices (36%).