Anvil is a boutique integrated marketing agency in Portland, Oregon and we are looking for a talented, experienced, and passionate Managing Director to join our team.
Overview: Responsible for all business & financial operations, process, team structure, and strategic planning for clients. Provide the president with business insights, analysis, budgeting, operational planning and options, as well as support for vision setting and strategic direction. You do this by maintaining effective relationships with all clients and by overseeing research, project and ongoing client work, participating in planning and driving strategy, with guidance from Specialists and Strategists. You are also responsible for nurturing the team’s efficiency, retention and growth, which includes managing capacity, guiding professional development and facilitating internal communications among workgroups (Organic Search, Paid Media, Account Management and the Executive Team).
Requirements for Position
- 5 years of marketing advertising agency experience on professional marketing accounts.
- 3 years of related managerial experience in an agency setting (managing direct reports).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively implement digital marketing services (SEO, Paid Media, Analytics, Social Media), with a working knowledge of agency’s integrated services. Must be able to speak confidently to all client contacts, from C-Level down, about all Anvil services and solutions, explaining benefits in the context of a client’s business.
- Demonstrated ability to understand a client’s unique and complex business dynamics and ensure the team provides exceptional service marketing support and that delights and elevates.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage team of account executives, digital strategists and digital specialists.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage team capacity, with a target of 100% average billable utilization.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Superior analysis, writing, communication and presentation skills.
Managing Director Services Key Objectives & Metrics
- Maximize retention of top-tier clients
- 20% net revenue growth of existing client accounts
- Maximize retention of key team members
- Delivering delight and elevation across the entire client roster via the account team (quality and quantity of client testimonials, case studies, NPS scores and client referrals)
- Maximize team’s use of professional development budgets to increase efficiency, success and retention
Client Service: Delight & Elevate (60%)
- Active involvement in key client accounts. Billable time consists primarily of client meetings, time spent to develop the client relationship, document and service review and general account oversight and administration.
- Responsible, along with account team, for maximizing client retention and growth (Metrics: 100% retention target, 20% net revenue growth target).
- Works closely with the account team to ensure client happiness is maximized and relationships are being developed. The account team is primarily responsible for managing the account on a day-to-day basis (identifying delight and elevate opportunities), though the AD is involved at a higher level, maintaining high value client relationships through a variety of efforts including, but not limited to:
- Establishing a solid foundation from the kickoff meeting through ongoing client management
- Maintaining a personal line of communication with client, acting as the agency’s representative in the form of:
- Connecting clients with marketing opportunities
- Connecting clients with strategic partners
- Touching base with key contacts about business level opportunities
- Surveying client service & happiness
- Scheduling and attending quarterly lunch or happy hour meetings with local tier 1 & 2 clients
- Attending and contributing to Client Strategy Meetings (Quarterly for top tier, strategic clients), as led by account team.
- Works closely with the team to ensure all service and upsell opportunities are fully developed through team management and interaction.
Team Management & Growth (20%)
- Manages team capacity to maximize utilization while ensuring quality of service and general team satisfaction
- Connects & deploys account team on all new and existing client projects
- Collaborates with the Executive Team to ensure account teams’ talents and unique abilities are properly leveraged within the agency’s structure, the delivery of services as well as matching client needs and personalities.
- Responsible for guiding the account team’s professional development as well as digital strategists and digital specialists (including utilization of professional development budget to attend conferences and events) and the creation of actionable individual development plans (IDPs) that help each team member grow within the company and as experts within the industry. (Metrics: account team completes 100% of their IDP goals)
- Provides support both personally and professionally to all team members and serves as the team’s daily go-to resource for needs, wins and stucks.
- Conducts annual reviews and provides recommendations regarding compensation with feedback from the Executive Team, as well as participation from the Executive Team as needed.
Agency Management (10%)
- Works with the Executive Team in creating, communicating, and implementing Anvil’s vision, mission, and overall strategic direction.
- Works directly with the Operations Manager to ensure business intelligence is accurate and being leveraged appropriately, such as:
- Ensures capacity and revenue projections are accurate
- Manages the team to 100% capacity utilization, including strategic, non-billable activities
- Ensures monthly invoicing and time entry across all clients are accurate
- Supports agency hiring, partnering with the Executive Team on making key decisions.
- The Managing Director is a supervisory position and responsible for performance coaching of the account team regarding effective service delivery and representation of the agency to clients, partners and peers.
Sales & Business Development (5%)
- Supports President and Vice President with sales and business development efforts by leading select prospects and proposals from start to finish, providing feedback on proposals and attending select meetings, as needed.
- Generates leads through speaking, writing, and networking.
Marketing, Industry Leadership & Professional Development (5%)
- Works with President and Vice President to execute select marketing efforts and to deploy efforts to account team, as needed.
- Provides insights into industry issues by contributing to Anvil’s blog and industry publications.
- Speaks on behalf of Anvil at industry conferences or other events.
- Attends industry conferences and networking events.
We offer competitive compensation packages including healthcare benefits, matching 401k savings plan, professional development budget and more. Let’s not forget the regular happy hours, field trips and advertising agency league activities like bowling and softball. The Managing Director will report directly to the President.
To be considered, please reply with cover letter, salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No calls please.