The top 3 emerging platforms of 2022 are:
Programmatic– This type of advertising opens up a significant audience that is not able to be reached on other ad platforms and has additional capabilities in industries that are regulated by other ad platforms.
Retail- Many retail companies have built their own ad platforms in recent years to provide a space for advertisers to run ads on their website. Best Buy, Walmart, & Target are the biggest with others coming soon.
eSports & in app – eSports is in its own realm when it comes to advertising. Advertisers are able to integrate their brand name into the game as a billboard, on jerseys, on a field or court, and more. In app advertising shows mid-game, or mid-activity typically in the free version of the app.
What is Programmatic
The use of automation, normally through a DSP, to buy and sell digital media.
This works using a DSP (demand side platform), an advertiser can place a bid for a placement on a publisher website for their ad to serve an impression. Publishers then use a Supply Side Platform (SSP) to share what placements are available on their online platforms. The DSP & SSPs sync up in real-time to conduct the auction.
While advertisers have the option of working directly with a DSP, it is more common to purchase programmatic advertising through a vendor. Navigating the process of purchasing inventory through a DSP is fairly complex to an untrained user. Vendors typically offer their own platform and support services. Many vendors also work with multiple DSPs to expand their targeting and inventory options available.
Key benefits of Programmatic
Greater Control- Programmatic campaigns offer near real time reporting capabilities coupled with full transparency on where impressions are served and performance across targeted user segments.
Better Targeting & Impression Efficiency-The vast array of targeting capabilities & user segments available to target is the key advantage of programmatic advertising. Accessing 3rd party audiences opens up near-infinite targeting options with the ability to layer targeting options such as geotargeting, behavior targeting, and purchase propensity targeting. Layering similar targeting on other platforms is often unrealistic due to reach restrictions.
Access to regulated markets- Often times programmatic vendors have the ability through partnerships and because they are independent vendors to market in industries and markets that other platforms regulate or restrict. These industries include, but not limited to, housing, financial services, social issues, etc.
Larger Reach- Programmatic advertising does not require a user to be signed up to a particular social platform, or be actively searching for select keywords. It has the potential to reach virtually every single internet user across the globe. This allows advertisers to utilize more granular targeting criteria, while still maintaining a large reach to effectively scale their campaigns.
Walmart, Target, and Best Buy, have the most robust platforms currently, and others are following close behind. Below are some of the main advantages to running on these platforms.
- Less overall competition especially for sellers who focus on more specialized niche product categories. Sellers don’t have to worry about the thousands of low-quality competitors keen on undercutting established sellers that is experienced on at platform like Amazon.
- All sellers within the marketplace have access to all features and tools free of charge. There are no monthly or setup fees. Instead, they only charges sellers a category-wise commission fee. No monthly setup or maintenance fees.
- If a seller matches a website affiliate’s product category, they have access to list their products on both the company’s website as well as the affiliate website expanding the customer reach and exposing the seller’s products to a new audience.
This blog post does a deep dive into specifically the WalMart ad platform vs Amazon and all of the advantages and any potential setbacks to both.
This can take a few different forms:
- Advertising the app within the different app stores to prompt people to download/purchase an app, or encourage in-app purchases.
- Advertising within apps to promote a product or service offered.
- Using display advertising to target mobile app placements so ads show when someone is using an app on their phone.
Display advertising targeting mobile app placements is best for awareness and reach campaigns as it gets a brand in front of a large group of people quickly, however, it isn’t typically the best for garnering a ton of relevant clicks or driving any kind of lead generation efforts.
With eSports being one of the biggest and most popular platforms for gaming in the current climate, this is a huge opportunity for brands to integrate their brand into the game.
A few ways that brands have successfully done this are:
- Having a billboard or sign within the game.
- Their logo on a field or court integrated into the game.
- Their brand name on a jersey.
- Having their brand mentioned verbally in the context of the game. And more!
Some brands are teaming up with eSports companies to create ads showing how their brand, product, or service can be part of the eSports world.
With third party cookies as they are now being sunset by Google in 2023 and the increasing competition on social media platforms expanding into these other areas is a great option. Not only to expand reach and gain access to a previously untapped audience. But also platforms with less overall competition and overall cheaper costs in most cases.
- Programmatic opens up reach to a much larger market, access to restricted categories, and more extensive targeting options. As well as full transparency into where ads are served and robust reporting.
- Retail platforms offer an option to advertise to the shoppers of these stores directly on the store’s website without having to sell the product in their stores. These platforms have little to no cost outside of what is paid for the ads (clicks, CPM, etc.). These platforms are similar to the offering on Amazon without the added competition.
- Apps and eSports platforms are a really great way to get in front of a younger audience due to the demographic that are often using these type of platforms. eSports platforms also offer a unique way to work brands into the game in multiple spots and be front and center to help create brand recognition and recall.