Anvil believes in karma and supporting the local community. As such, we’re active on a variety of levels: providing pro bono services for local charity organizations, hosting an annual fundraiser event, encouraging individual employee volunteerism, and sponsoring a local networking group.
Charity of Choice
Anvil has provided pro bono digital marketing services to a host of local charities throughout the years, increasing the online visibility of each organization. Each quarter, Anvil employees participate in a Charity of Choice competition where they get to nominate a local organization they support. Nominees are voted on internally to determine the top 5, and this short list goes to a social media vote through Facebook. The organization with the most votes win pro bono services from Anvil. Previous winners include:
- Blue Mountain Wildlife
- Candlelighters for Children with Cancer
- Feral Cats Coalition of Oreon
- Oregon Humane Society
Other organizations Anvil has supported in the past:
- American Red Cross – Oregon Trail Chapter
- Community Warehouse
- Green Empowerment
- Loaves & Fishes Centers: The Meals-on-Wheels People
- Make-A-Wish® Oregon
- Mercy Corps
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- One Dream Movement
- Oregon Humane Society
- The Pixie Project
- Raphael House: Take Care
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Oregon and Southwest WashingtonUnited Way of the Columbia-Willamette
From day one, Anvil has been a proponent of employee support of charities. In this spirit, Anvil created Employee Volunteer Day, where the entire team is encouraged (if not required) to take a few hours off from work to support a local non-profit. Anvil provides these volunteer opportunities for the team quarterly.
In addition, Anvil employees are encouraged to become actively involved in local professional trade associations. Below is a sampling of Anvil’s current involvement.
- Entrepreneur’s Organization (EO): Board Member, Membership Chair and Executive Forum Member
- Oregon Game Project Challenge (OGPC): Mentor & Judge
- Oregon Restaurants and Lodging Association (ORLA): Board Member
- Portland Incubator Experiment (PIE): Mentor and Advisor
- Portland Advertising Federation (PAF): Founding Roundtable Member and Ad Bowling League President
- SEMpdx: Board Member
- Start Making a Reader Today (SMART): Marketing Committee Member and Reading Volunteers
pdxMindShare: Career Community Powered by Anvil
As an active participant in the Portland marketing and technology community, Anvil loves to connect people in our network. In 2001, Kent Lewis kicked off a monthly networking event, pdxMindShare, that has become a regular fixture at local establishments. It has evolved to include a career-focused workshop where experts are brought in to educate attendees on how to navigate their own personal career path. Events are held every third Wednesday at 4:30 at Trader Vic’s in Downtown Portland. Since the initial email invitation to 20 individuals in 2001, over 3,200 have signed up to be notified of upcoming events and job opportunities in the Portland area each week and also has a strong following on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook with well over 10,000 followers between all the platforms.