Google is continually blurring the line between Local SEO and Traditional SEO. In a recent algorithm update, local ranking signals are more heavily influenced by traditional SEO than ever. You can read more about these recent updates in my article “Surprise! Another Change in Local Search Rankings.” With these updates to Local Search Rankings and more users conducting local searches, it is extremely important that local business focus on optimizing their local search presence. Below are five tips for improving your Local presence, taking into consideration the recent changes in local search.
- Have a consistent and accurate NAP (name, address, and phone number). NAP will also often include “W” or website.
- Claim, verify and optimize your Google My Business profile.
- Optimize your site for local search in the following areas: page speed, mobile-friendliness, geo-specific metadata, geo-specific content and be sure to have an XML sitemap.
- Build citations across the web. Common citation sources include data aggregators, local search engines, local blogs, locally focused directories, and industry-focused directories or blogs.
- Monitor your reviews and address negative reviews as soon as possible. Most importantly, do not create fake reviews.
Local SEO and traditional SEO are an ongoing effort, meaning, continual optimizations and efforts are vital for staying ahead of the game. For more information or assistance on optimizing your local search presence, contact Anvil today.